Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Constructivism in my classroom :D

I am infinitely grateful because I am fortunate to be doing the job I love- teaching English. I teach in a state university here in my city. Today I am feeling a bit under the weather since it's my time of the month so I haven't been feeling particularly positive about the day. While discussing the rules in Active/Passive Sentences I was extremely astonished at the sentences my students used as examples:
1. Selena Gomez's dignity is ruined by Justin Bieber.
2. The death of Michael Jackson was not easily accepted by his fans all over the world.
3. A secret will be revealed in the next episode of Nasaan ka Elisa.
I sat wide eyed feeling slightly amused at my students' effort of trying to connect their reality to the learning process.
To me these three sentences speak volumes of the principles I learned about Constructivism in my graduate studies. It stipulated that learning must learner-centered and experience-based. Furthermore, the learning-teaching process must be anchored on the learner's reality so that meaningful learning can be achieved. I shouldn't be surprised about professors caught having casual, almost friendly conversations with their students during free time. This is becomes a venue for healthy academic exchanges resulting to more useful understanding of students' needs, interests, and even values.

No comments:

Post a Comment